Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Journal-Lane Question for 1/28/2010: modern conveniences

Ponder this question for today. Write it down in a journal to pass on to family members once you're gone.

You can post it here, or in your own journal book.

Have a great day.

1/28/2010: Regarding modern conveniences, what type of things have changed the most in the years you’ve lived?

Being as I’m now a “seasoned” age, a lot of things have changed within my life time.

I remember being in my teens when transistor radios came out. We teenagers were in heaven, much like the teens today with their DS, DS1- or iPods.

I was a pre-teen back when Elvis hit the airways, so you can imagine how important a little radio was to me. My parents did not like my music. (Ahhh! And this trait passed onto me because I just couldn’t understand metal music!)

Throughout all life times, I imagine someone always publishes a list of “Inventions for the Future”. One that hit when I was young had a coat on it that had its own heater built in. I was yearning for this, as my stepmom got me a vinyl coat one year, and I liked to freeze to death that winter. I wanted one of those personal; adjust your own heat temperature, coats! (I’m still waiting.)

Instead, we developed better fibers, and we now layer more because we know that keeps us toasty. And being seasoned, I came into my own “hot flashes”, and no longer needed this “future” coat.

I saw records, 45’s and lp’s, pretty much go out of style, although I still own both. In fact, I bought a new stereo a few years back. My needle broke on my old one, and when I tried to replace it, the needle to it would cost me more than buying a new one.

I saw tape decks come and go. They were short-lived, but we had a few tapes.

We now have double-sided tape, but tape dispensers that don’t cut well. I try to save the ones that cut, from my past, and put the new rolls in those.

Thanks to some evil person, we also now have everything we buy sealed to keep you from getting in it. As I get older, it gets harder and harder to open newly purchased items. It now usually takes more than one person to open any simple container.

Cell phones are big now. We didn’t have those. I still remember when phone numbers started with letters from the alphabet: We1-2345. And party lines that you shared with 2 or 3 neighbors. We had more consideration for each other back then, because people didn’t stay on the phone that much as you knew others might need it.

I remember penny candy. A lot of candy was 2, 3 or even 4 for a penny. A nickel could buy you a lot of candy.

Pop was a dime for a bottle, if you drank it there. Thirteen cents, if you took it with you. And, of course, we were always picking up pop bottles since we could turn them in for $0.03 each and buy lots with our pennies.

I remember the Five and Dime. A dollar went a long way then.

I bought cigarettes for my stepmom, with a note, of course. Those were $0.35.

The biggest change I’ve seen in history, though, is the computer. I remember DOS, and our first computer was the Commodore.

Communication is a breeze today due to the computer. Fewer post-office letters out, and more email. And … you can pay your bills online, and even purchase online. And stamps. The price of a stamp goes up so fast, I only buy forever stamps now. I also like that when I use my ATM, I can actually choose the purchase stamps before my transaction. Wow!

I think of all the things I’ve seen change. Many for the better. Some not.

Now we can watch fairly new-released movies in the comfort of our own homes. The ticket prices have sky-rocketed at the movie theaters, so I don’t go to the movies once a week anymore. More like once a year. And many years, I don’t go at all.

I watch for movies I want to see, and pick them up when they’re released. After all, I used to have 3 channels and rabbit ears on the tv … when we still had FREE television. Today, we have a gazillion channels, and they still show the same things over and over and over. C’mon! You know Law and Order had more seasons and more shows than the ones they rerun constantly.

And when one channel gets done running a movie to death, you know it’s premiering on another paid channel! So those movies come in handy. If I want a rerun, I can choose my own, thank you very much.

I know I’ve left lots out. So much has changed. Homes. Cars. School online. Work online. I’m sure the list is endless.

We’ve entered the “information” age. They keep extending our years on earth as well. Frankly, it’s a good thing that we don’t live forever. I hate to think of all the things my grandchildren will see.


Check out my website at: http://www.easyaspiedailygraphics.com/ (3 new free graphics each day) and my other blog at: http://homespungraphics.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment