Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Journal-Lane Question for 1/27/2010: Exploring a point of view

Ponder this question for today. Write it down in a journal to pass on to family members once you're gone.

You can post it here, or in your own journal book.

Have a great day.

1/27/2010: Have you ever had to try to explain your point of view on a subject with a child, so they might understand better?

Recently, my granddaughter remarked that several new rules or laws should be made. I didn’t think she understood the implications of what she was saying, so I tried my hand at trying to make her see it, from another point of view.

She basically felt that they should MAKE A LAW that people can’t drink, smoke, or do things that hurt others.

I really didn’t want to go into the prohibition era, where trying to limit/abolish alcohol was employed.

Instead, I tried asking her a question.

”Do criminals/bad people follow the laws?” I asked.

”No.” was her firm reply.

”Will regular people like you and me follow the law?”

”Yes, we would” she said proudly.

”So if the bad people or criminals will not follow the new laws, and only the good people will, why are we making the law?” I asked.

I went on to talk about the freedom offered and still enjoyed in America, and how everybody wants to come here to have that freedom. I also told her that when criminals get caught, it seems to me that most of them don’t have to pay a very big price. Many don’t stay in jail. Our jails are too full, and it costs a lot of money to house them, so they often let them out again.

I told her that there’s always a good side and a bad side to everything. Eventually, the new laws will be made to somehow make the good people lose some of their freedom. Because the laws have NO EFFECT on criminals, it’s only the good people that can really be controlled. And life is about control.

I told her that I feel that until the laws we currently have are enforced against the bad criminals, that lawmakers are wasting our time and money. There should be NO NEW LAWS until we clean up the mess we have now. And lawmakers should not be paid BIG salaries for doing nothing.

We are ruining our own freedom. If what you do is done and it doesn’t hurt others, then you should be free to do it. And if those who enjoy those freedoms are considerate of others, then they will enjoy their freedoms so that they don’t hurt others. This is what good people do … not bad people.

How would you have answered this situation?


Check out my website at: http://www.easyaspiedailygraphics.com/ (3 new free graphics each day) and my other blog at: http://homespungraphics.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment