Sunday, January 24, 2010

Journal-Lane Question for 1/25/2010-Lottery Tickets

Ponder this question for today. Write it down in a journal to pass on to family members once you're gone.

You can post it here, or in your own journal book.

Have a great day.

1/25/2010: Do you ever buy a lottery ticket? How often do you buy one, and why? Have you ever won? Was it a good thing?

I’ve purchased one lottery ticket, I think, when my husband was with me. He had bought one, and I just bought one impulsively.

Wait … I actually have been involved with purchasing several. How the mind escapes me at times!

At work, the group I ate with, at one time, bought a weekly lottery ticket for several weeks. We eventually lost interest, as we never won anything.

I bought them because others were, and I’ve heard the phrase that “If you don’t play, you can’t win.” So true.

But money is a precious commodity to me. It’s hard to earn it, and I’d rather save it. Therefore, I do not choose to play the lottery.

I’ve personally never won anything on a lottery ticket. I’ve known several that have though. One person I know won about $8k. Another person I know of, won about $9k not just once, but twice. Now that is luck!

Is winning a good thing? Yes and no. If you save a good portion of it, and it benefits future plans, it’s great. If you spend it all right away, and have nothing left, then I think it is a waste of a good fortune.

Winning is also a mental thing. If I win, I might feel I can “win again and again”. So there are times that winning may cause me to throw away money. I don’t have enough money to do that.

Personally, if I decided to take up buying a weekly lottery ticket, I would want to know more about it. If I buy a ticket for 30 weeks at $1 a ticket, and don’t win anything, then I’m $30 in the hole. If the 31st week, I win $250, then I’ve spent $31 and made $219. I might decide to save $200 of that, and continue to play the remaining $19 for the next 19 weeks. Then I would have to choose to possibly make money again or lose again.

But if I only won $5 on that 31 weeks, I’d be in the hole $26. Not much, but it adds up, and that would be hard for me to live with.

It’s a decision we each make for ourselves. I always say “Everything in moderation.” As long as it brings NO to harm to a person or family, it should be a free choice. Only the person playing knows that, for sure.


Check out my website at: http://www.EasyAsPieDailyGraphics.com (3 new free graphics each day) and my other blog at: http://HomeSpunGraphics.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment